One of my very best friends very thoughtfully got me the BEST recipe book ever for Christmas,’ The Skinny Taste Cookbook’ by Gina Homolka bringing you dishes that are light on calories and big on flavor. The recipes really aren’t that difficult ( especially if I can do them) and so tasty. This week I made two dishes which were a big hit both on my kitchen table. I have had so many messages on both Facebook and Instagram asking me for the recipes so for this blog post I will be giving you the recipes for ‘Cajun Chicken Pasta on the Lighter Side’ and ‘ Coconut Chicken Salad with Warm Honey Mustard Vinaigrette’.
Cajun Chicken Pasta on the Lighter Side
- 1/3 cup skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour ( or sweet rice flour for gluten free)
- 3 tablespoons of ‘Lightest’ cream cheese
- 8 ounces of brown pasta
- Salt and Pepper
- 5 chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 1 1/4 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning ( or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 2 medium scallions ( I didn’t include scallions because I hate them!)
- In a blender, make a slurry by combining the milk, flour and cream cheese. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta to al dente in a pot of salted water according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon of Cajun,1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Spray the pan with cooking spray and add the chicken until fully cooked. Set aside on a plate.
- Spray the pan again with some cooking spray and reduce the heat to medium. Add the bell peppers, onion, garlic, cook,stirring, until almost tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and cook , stirring until the vegetables are tender, 3 to 4 more minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low, add the chicken stock and the slurry, and cook, stirring, until it begins to thicken , about two minutes.
- Return the chicken strips to the skillet. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning or more to taste and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Add the pasta and toss well to coat.
- Optional – when serving up sprinkle with chopped scallions.
Coconut Chicken Salad with Warm Honey-Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons of honey
- 4 teaspoons of white vinegar
- Low cal spray
- 1/2 cup of dessicated coconut
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons of crushed cornflakes
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of egg whites ( from about 3 large eggs)
- 4 breasts of chicken, cut into chunks(tenders)
- 8 cups of mixed baby greens
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- For the vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, whisk together the mustard, oil,honey,vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of water. Set aside
- For the chicken: Preheat the oven to 180C, Spray a large nonstick baking tray with low calorie spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut, panko, cornflake crumbs and a pinch of salt. In a second medium bowl, beat the egg whites.
- Season the chicken with the a touch of salt. Dip the chicken in the egg whites, then in the coconut crumb mixture. Place the chicken on the baking tray. Lightly spray the top of the chicken with some low cal spray.
- Bake for 15minutes, flip, and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 15 more minutes.
- For the salad: Place 2 cups baby greens on each of 4 serving plates. Divide the carrots, tomato slices, and cucumber slices among the plates. Slice the chicken on an angle and place on top of the greens. Heat the dressing in the microwave a few seconds and divide it among the salads.
Get your hands on the Skinny Taste recipe book, you won’t regret it – money well spent!
Lots of Love
Please note: These are NOT my own recipes and have come directly out of the Skinny Taste recipe book.