As promised today’s post includes my very special chilli recipe which you will find below.
I love Mexican food ( I think I say this about every cuisine but I genuinely do, I also say genuinely A LOT) anyway it’s definitely up there as one of my favorite. Before I ‘got into’ cooking as such ( in other words looking after myself properly) I was a proper ‘jar’ girl. What do I mean by that ? Well just simply get some mince and pour in a jar of Uncle Bens. I’ve come a loooooonnng way since and now appreciate the true comfort that comes from making my dishes from scratch.
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 250g of lean mince ( I use 5%)
- 200g of kidney beans
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 1 clove of garlic diced or a tsp of lazy garlic
- 1 red pepper chopped or use frozen mixed peppers
- 1/2 tbsp of ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp of chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp of ground cinnamon
- 400g of tinned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Low Cal Olive oil spray
- 170g of basmati rice
- Spray large pan with low calorie olive oil spray and allow to heat up. Add onions, peppers, garlic, chilli powder, cumin and cinnamon with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Stir every 30 seconds for around 7 minutes until softened and lightly coloured.
- Add the drained kidney beans, tinned tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Add the minced beef, breaking any larger chunks up with a wooden spoon. Fill one of the empty tomato tins with water and pour this into the pan. Allow to simmer for 20- 30 minutes while you cook the rice.
3. If you don’t fancy rice try having it with some sweet potato fries/baked potato/couscous or simply a side salad if you are trying to keep those carb levels down!
I really hope you like this recipe and if you try it please share a photo with me on facebook using the hashtag #irunlikeagirlrecipes