I won’t deny I used to be the person that would make all kinds of excuses when it came to having to cook. ” I don’t have time”, “It takes too long”, ” I’m a rubbish cook”… sound familiar? Thought so. These loaded sweet potato skins will take you 30 minutes tops ( if even!). It’s not all about sweet potato fries, it’s time to think outside of the box.
Ingredients ( Serves 1)
- 1 sweet potato (cut in half)
- 30g cream cheese ( I used lightest Philadelphia)
- 80g chopped red peppers
- 80g spinach
- 1 tsp lazy garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 35g honey mustard jerky (I used Topherd)
- low calorie cooking spray
- Grated cheese, guacamole, salsa (have a play with this recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- If you are really stuck for time (and your tummy is rumbling like crazy), pop the sweet potato in the microwave first for 3-4mins to speed up cooking time. Place in the oven on baking sheet and depending on the size of your sweet potato , it shouldn’t take longer than 20mins to cook.
- Remove from oven when done and allow to cool until they are cool enough to handle ( leave the oven on low as you will need it again).Scoop out the flesh, leaving a thin lining of sweet potato inside. Add the flesh to a large bowl and set aside. Spray the skins with low calorie cooking spray, and return to baking sheet. Place back in the oven until crispy, about 10 minutes.
- While the skins are cooking add the sweet potato flesh, spinach, garlic, salt, pepper and cream cheese to a blender. Blend until all ingredients are combined and potato is mashed.
- Fill each potato skin with equal amounts of the mixture, top with peppers and jerky.
- This is also where you could add cheese etc and put back in the oven to melt. It’s a super versatile recipe so like I said before play around with the ingredients to your liking.
If you were having a party and wanted to have some hot snacks, you could chop the sweet potato in quarters and serve as part of your nibble selection.
PS I’ve one week to go until the half marathon, wish me luck!