Breakfast/Brunch is my favourite meal of the day even if it’s my just porridge, I love it. At the weekends is when I usually have time to do something a little different. Recently I made these Apple and Chia Breakfast Muffins and quite frankly would love to have them every single day ( they do freeze well yipeeee!). I put chia in EVERYTHING (smoothies, shakes, salads, oats, muffins…the list goes on), another superfood with lots of health benefits…
- Loads of nutrients with very few calories
- Almost all carbs in them are fibre
- High in protein
- High in Omega 3 fatty acids
They are becoming more and more easy to find but not always that cheap. I get mine from Bulk Powders.
Ingredients ( Makes 5)
- 1 medium sized apple grated (I love using pink lady apples)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 25g chia seeds ( I used Bulk Powders)
- 60g Sukrin Gold
- 10g chia seed powder (I used Bulk Powders)
- 40ml rapeseed oil
- 1 egg (I used Two Chicks)
- 1 tsp TRKG vanilla skinny syrup ( Use my code TRKGRUN10 for 10% off)
- 60g wholemeal self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oats ( I used Quaker)
- Low calorie cooking spray
- Preheat the oven 180°C
- In a large bowl mix apple, cinnamon, lemon zest, chia seeds, Sukrin Gold, salt, oil, syrup, and egg, until combined.
- Leave for 5 minutes to allow the chia seeds to expand
- Meanwhile mix the flour, chia powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a separate bowl.
- Stir the apple mixture into the dry ingredients to form a batter. Divide evenly between the muffin cases ( spray the muffin cases with low calorie cooking spray), and then scatter over the oats.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until risen and springy to the touch.
Macros (per muffin approx)
- Calories: 160
- Carbs: 14g
- Protein: 4g
- Fats: 10g