I’m obsessed with dates and I’m always trying to find ways to incorporate them into recipes.
Dates have so many benefits…
- Dates are free from cholesterol and do not contain excessive fat amounts.
- It contains vitamins like B1, B2, B3, and B5, as well as A1 and C. You can easily consume most of your required dose of vitamins by making dates a part of your diet.
- Great for runners – You can have dates for a quick snack as the natural sugars in it boosts the body’s energy.
- Hungover? They are also used for detoxifying the body after over-consumption of alcohol.
- Dates are rich in fiber, and they make our stomachs and intestines stronger than ever. Dietary fiber has many benefits, ranging from controlling blood sugar to promoting weight loss. Medjool dates supply you with nearly 30% of your daily fiber requirements, which helps with digestion.
- If you want a perfect smile and beautiful frame, have dates. Their manganese content contributes to calcium absorption, giving good teeth and good bones.
Source:(“21 Amazing Health Benefits Of Dates (Khajoor) For Skin, Hair, And Health”)
Tonight I’ve made Date Squares – Vegan and Gluten Free.
Ingredients: (makes 8 approx)
For the date filling
- 110g dates
- 100ml water
- 3 tbsp date syrup ( I used Beloved)
For the base
- 50g almond flour ( I used Sukrin)
- 35g gluten free oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp almond butter (I used Pip N Nut)
- 1 tbsp Sukrin Gold
- Preheat oven to 150C
- To make the date filling – add the dates to a hot saucepan and slowly add water. Cook on high until the water starts to boil then turn the heat to low. Start mashing the dates. Add the date syrup and more water as needed until you have a smooth, thick, but spreadable date paste. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and Sukrin Gold if using any.
- Place the mixture in a food processor along with the rapeseed oil and almond butter.
- Pulse until everything is well combined and you have a crumb like mixture.
- Transfer 2/3 of the mixture into a cake tin lined with parchment paper. Press the mixture down firmly into an even layer.
- Spread the date mixture on top, then crumble the remaining 1/3 of the mixture on top.
- Bake for 15-20minutes.
- Leave to cool completely, then enjoy!
You can thank me later.