IT’S ALMOST CHRISTMAS! I have consumed a lot of my festive favourites already, and this does include brussels sprouts. Some people don’t like sprouts but I believe it’s because when you were a child your mother boiled them and they had zero flavour. Well, that’s what happened to me anyway. Sorry, Mam.
Sprouts are not just a beautiful accompaniment to a meal, they are super filling and were the basis of my brunch this afternoon. Sprouts and eggs, festive and well eggs you can’t have brunch without eggs.
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 egg
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 red chilli, chopped (deseeded)
- 150g brussels sprouts, chopped
- Salt/Pepper/Chipotle Flakes to season
- Siracha and sourdough to serve
- Boil brussels sprouts until soft. I personally like to boil brussels sprouts before adding them to a frying pan as it speeds up cooking.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Add cumin seeds, onion, garlic, chilli. and fry until softened.
- Add brussels sprouts to pan. Cook for further 5-8 minutes until they start to get a golden colour.
- Use a spoon to create a little hole in the middle to crack the egg into. Break the egg into the hole and cover with lid to allow it cook through – until the egg is set but the yolk still runny.
- Season with salt/pepper and chipotle flakes. Drizzle with sriracha and serve with warm sourdough
PS if you have leftover sprouts from Christmas dinner – just reheat them in a pan and crack an egg in. SIMPLE