So who else is super disappointed with Mary Berry’s decision to leave GBBO? I certainly am, I love her but I also love her loyalty. She’s done a lot of work in her time with BBC so that was the right decision for her. As regards Paul Hollywood, I don’t understand why people are giving him such a hard time, it’s his job, he’s got more years to go than Mary ( as awful as it sounds but she’s no spring chicken) and I’m sure most of us wouldn’t turn down a few million! People need to chill.
Anyway it was pastry week this week as most GBBO fans know and although I was away with work I still managed to get my slice of bake off in. Unfortunately Val left which means I’ve gotta bake for the office this week. Everyone will be in for a treat ( if I do say so myself) with my healthy spin on the classic Cherry Bakewell Tart. No baking required, Vegan and totally guilt free.
- 140g medjool date
- 150g almonds
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 120g frozen cherries or mixed fruit
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp Sukrin: 1
- Flaked almonds
- To make the jam add the frozen cherries to a small pan along with the Sukrin:1 and about 4- 5 tbsp water. Cook on a medium heat, stirring continuously.
- Once the cherries start to soften, start to press them down.
- Take off the heat then mix in the chia seeds. add to a bowl and allow to set for 1-2 hours in the fridge
- To make the base – place the dates, almonds and rapeseed oilin your food processor and blend until you have a dough like mixture.
- Press the base into an 8″ cake tin covered with parchment paper. Leave to set in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the marzipan layer – To a bowl, add the almond flour maple syrup (or honey) and vanilla almond syrup. Mix until you have an even marzipan mixture.
- Take your base out of the freezer. Smooth over the marzipan mixture with a spatula, and then top with the cherry jam as evenly as you can.
- Sprinkle flaked almonds on top, place in the freezer and leave to set for about 2 hours.
I’ve had a very successful tasting session so I hope you enjoy it. If you make it please tag me and let me know what you think.