Mexican is one of my favourite cuisines, so when Mr Organic asked me to create a Cinco de Mayo themed recipe, the answer was a no-brainer.
I love spending my Sunday’s cooking with no stress or pressures. I’m usually making something that I can box up for my lunches or freeze. This week I made a Veggie Chipotle Squash Chilli (I made enough for an army!).
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, cubed- I prefer coquina squash as it’s easier to peel and I think it’s a bit sweeter
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp of ginger
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Mr Organic black beans
- 1 Mr Organic chopped tomatoes
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Mr Organic chilli and ginger salsa
- Chipotle flakes
You need a deep casserole dish*
- Spray casserole dish with low-calorie spray or a little drizzle of olive oil. Add red onion and cook for one/two minutes.
- Add squash, pepper and stock. Ensure the stock is covering the squash.
- Keep it at a medium heat. Add the garlic, chilli powder, chipotle paste, cumin and cinnamon. Stir constantly to ensure all the veg is covered. Add the bay leaf, black beans, tomatoes and their juices. Stir to combine and cover for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- While the chilli is cooking away slowly, prepare your avocado and tortilla strips.
- The tortilla strips simply need to be placed in the oven at 200C for 5-10 minutes until they are crispy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the chilli is ready, serve topped with strips, avocado, salsa and chipotle flakes